Ever since the launch of the new Flockstar, and subsequent renaming of the original app to Flockstar Lite, I’ve had a few questions from users wondering what’s different, and is it worth it to upgrade to the new subscription-based app. In this post I hope to make it clear with a simple breakdown of what they do and how they are different.
Basic egg tracking in a fun and intuitive way for a single flock, on a single phone. This is the "legacy" app, first released in 2018. It will remain available for download, but will not be receiving new features or improvements.
Free - no ads, no subscriptions
- Create a profile for each chicken
- Log eggs for individual chickens
- Bulk entries for logging eggs without specifying hens
- Basic egg production chart, shows monthly increments for all time
- Basic egg stats, no trends from previous periods
- Capture a photo for egg entries and chicken profiles
- Calendar view to easily spot days with eggs recorded
- No expense or sales tracking
- No ability to export data
- Stores all data on your phone
- Requires manual backup to protect against data loss
Advanced egg tracking and flock managment in a fun and intuitive way for multiple flocks on multiple phones. First released in December 2022, after a ground-up rewrite of the original app. Includes many highly requested features from users, gathered from years of feedback, suggestions and experience. Flockstar is where all new features and improvements will happen going forward. User subscriptions fund 100% of future app development.
Subscription based, no ads. Currently $0.99/month or $9.99/year in the United States, with a 1 week free trial.
- Create and manage multiple flocks - a flock can be any grouping of birds that you wish to track - Chickens, Ducks, Coop 1, Coop 2, Brown Egg Layers, White Egg Layers, etc.
- Greatly improved charts, trends, and stats - by week, month or year
- Expense tracking
- Sales tracking
- Export data to CSV files for external analysis
- Create profiles for each flock member to track individual performance or notes
- Journal entries to record important milestones, behaviors, or events with notes and a photo
- Photo gallery to view all photos attached to egg and journal entries
- Expanded ability to track eggs, including damaged eggs, and weights for an entire flock, without selecting a specific layer
- Dark mode (uses your device system color mode)
- Continuous cloud sync of data and photos, no manual backups needed
- Simple, secure password-less sign up and sign in
- Manage flocks across multiple devices